When getting a new dog, there are certain things you need to buy to ensure their well-being and comfort. It is essential to provide the necessary items for their basic needs as well as considering additional items that can enhance their quality of life. Here is a list of things you need to buy for your new dog:
– Dog Food: Purchase high-quality dog food that suits your dog’s age, size, and breed.
– Food and Water Bowls: Opt for sturdy, non-toxic bowls that are easy to clean.
– Collar and Leash: Choose a comfortable collar and a leash suitable for your dog’s size and strength.
– Identification Tags: Include your contact information on the dog’s collar to ensure their safe return if they get lost. Further information here (United Kingdom): Using the Good Citizen Dog Training scheme | The Kennel Club
– Dog Bed: Provide a comfortable and well-padded bed for your dog to rest and sleep.
– Crate or Kennel: Consider buying a crate or kennel for training, transportation, and providing a safe space for your dog.
– Dog Toys: Invest in a variety of toys to keep your dog mentally stimulated and entertained.
– Dog Shampoo and Grooming Supplies: Purchase dog-specific shampoo, a brush or comb, nail clippers, and ear cleaning solution.
– Waste Bags: Be prepared to clean up after your dog when taking them for walks.
– Travel Accessories: If you frequently travel with your dog, items like a travel water bowl, car seat cover, and portable food and water containers can be helpful. You will also need to make sure that your dog is appropriately tethered in the car. Further Information here: Law and advice for car travel with dogs (agriapet.co.uk)
– Dog Training Supplies: If you plan to train your dog, you may need treats, clicker, training pads, and training books or videos.
– Dog Training or Behavior Books: Educate yourself about dog training and behavior to ensure a harmonious relationship with your new pet
– Dog Clothing: Depending on the climate and your dog’s breed, you may need sweaters, coats, or booties to keep them warm and protected.
– Dog Bedding and Blankets: Consider providing additional bedding or blankets for your dog’s comfort.
– Dog Gates or Playpens: These items can help create boundaries and keep your dog in a safe area of your home.
– Dog Treats and Chews: Reward your dog with tasty treats and chews to reinforce good behavior and provide mental stimulation.
– Dog Dental Care Products: Regular brushing and dental treats can help maintain your dog’s oral health..
Remember, while the essential items are necessary for your dog’s well-being, the additional items can enhance their comfort and overall happiness. It’s important to assess your dog’s individual needs and preferences to provide the best care possible.
If you would like some more information on how to prepare for your new arrival, check out our booklets to give you a helping hand: Preparing to Bring Your Dog Home – Barking Buds